PMI’s Portfolio Management Professional (PfMP)® credential recognizes the advanced experience and skill of portfolio managers. The PfMP® demonstrates your proven ability in the coordinated management of one or more portfolios to achieve organizational objectives.
PfMP credential holders are responsible for ensuring that their organization is “doing the right work.”
PfMP credential holders are responsible for the execution of the portfolio management process, communication around portfolio progress, and recommendations for action. Where project and program managers are responsible for “doing work right,” this is an ideal credential if you are responsible for ensuring your organization is “doing the right work.”
Who should apply?
If you’re a portfolio manager looking to demonstrate a proven ability to manage and align a portfolio of projects and programs to realize organizational strategy and objectives; increase your visibility and value with your organization; and separate yourself in the eyes of employers, the PfMP credential is right for you.
Portfolio Management Certification Requirements
To apply for the PfMP, you need to have either:
- A secondary degree (high school diploma, associate’s degree, or the global equivalent), with at least seven years (10,500 hours) of portfolio management experience within the past 15 consecutive years.
- A four year degree (bachelor’s degree or the global equivalent), with at least four years (6,000 hours) of portfolio management experience within the past 15 consecutive years.
- Since portfolio management focuses on strategic investment matters and high level organizational decisions, it is pertinent to have a foundation of professional business experience. All applicants must possess a minimum of eight years (96 months) of professional business experience.
How to apply and prepare for the exam
- To apply for the PfMP, register and log in to our online system to get started.
- Need more information? Get more information on the PfMP’s role and requirements. For a more detailed look, consult the PfMP Handbook.
- Ready to take the exam? Use the PfMP exam guidance for information about the exam, tips for preparing, and important updates.
Maintain your PfMP Certification
As part of PMI’s Continuing Certification Requirements program, a PfMP credential holder will need to earn 60 PDUs per three-year cycle.